Thursday, August 7, 2014

Day 2-268 Rest Day in Mackinaw City

    After about 6 days of going pretty constantly, we declared a "Rest Day". Even Seaman 3rd Class Ann was given the day off, and not wanting to wait for a possible change of plans, she promptly took off to tour the USCG (Ice Breaker) Mackinaw. As I mentioned before, the Mackinaw was retired from service in 2006 after a long 62 year career of extending the shipping season on the Great Lakes as well as rescuing ships stranded in the ice.


     Here is a picture that Ann took of the crew quarters. She didn't say it, but I got the impression that her "quarters" on Lucky Us look better after seeing this area...



I found it interesting that they have a whole room full of Halon fire extinguishing system. We have one bottle in the engine room on Lucky Us, which supposedly will release the gas to put out a fire if the heat reached a high level (i.e. a fire exists). They can send Halon to many areas in various amounts.





The engine room has 6 of these 10 cylinder diesels to power the ship. Wow!












Anyway, you gotta love their motto:



The Coast Guard goes out when no one else does, but this ship did it in the ice...


    Meanwhile, back at Lucky Us, the Captain (that's me) looks like he has perfected the technique of napping while looking like he is working on the blog.  Well, it worked for a while until the Admiral finally caught on to my act....
     We headed into town for a late lunch at an Irish Pub. I had a great Reuben sandwich with home made potato chips that were really crisp. I was in such a good move after lunch that I suggested that I was good for shopping in ONE store before heading back to the boat for my nap. Well, of course one store lead to another and...
     I did get a nice nap, and we went to see the movie "Planes: Fire & Rescue". It was a cute movie as expected, and after a lot of blogging, it certainly did not tax my feeble brain very much. Also, you guessed it. The popcorn was really very good!
     Tomorrow, we will be leaving Mackinaw City and heading under the big bridge, but tonight we walked to a lake side park to watch the lights get turned on as the sun set. Aside from a few pesky mosquitoes, it was a beautiful sight.





     I am going to stop with just two pictures, but the three of us must have taken well over 50 pictures (thank goodness for "free" digital photos).
     Well, up early to depart for Petosky, MI. It will be good to be back on the water after three days in Mackinaw City.

No comments:

Post a Comment