Friday, April 22, 2016

Day 21 a day of rest at Bobby's Fish Camp

     We have no real plan for today other than having dinner again at Bobby's. I am no expert on fried catfish, but my dinner last night was very good. I chose the filet dinner rather than the 1 pound whole fish dinner or the "all you can eat" whole fish dinner for only $13.99. I correctly surmised that with the whole fish they had done little more than gut and skin the catfish. A couple at a neighboring table had the whole fish version, and it included bones, fins, heads, etc. In my modest opinion I made the right choice! I could have dealt with everything, but I hate dealing with fish bones, including just the "odd" bone in what is supposed to be a boneless filet. So, now you know one of my many deep, dark secrets...

     I slept in until about 9:30 am, and it felt wonderful to do so. The Admiral had kindly gotten up earlier and taken Lucky on her first walk of the day, but my first assignment of the day was to log some steps on my Fit Bit with Lucky. After anchoring out the previous night she was a very happy puppy to be able to spend time on land even though it was still pretty wet from rain the previous day. Speaking of rain, another reason for a rest day today was a general forecast for 50% chance of rain during almost all of the daylight hours. This was to turn out wrong, but we did get a mid-afternoon shower.

     There were only a few tows that passed by today, and here is one in the background of Lucky Us (photo on left). This tow is 3 barges wide by 2 long, and it was a mix of heavy (loaded) and light barges. They were pretty quiet as they passed us since they are either slowing down or have already slowed down for the lock just down stream.




     In the photo above you can also see one of the beams that keeps the floating dock in place off of the shore. The beam can pivot at both ends as the dock moves up and down with the changing water levels. There is also a series of cables from shore to the dock that keep the dock from moving up or down river. It is a very simple system, but it looks like it has worked successfully for a long time.

     Well, that pretty well summarizes the day, except for another fish dinner at the restaurant. I had the same fileted catfish dinner, and once again it was very good. I even was able to get sweet potato fries instead of regular fries, which was definitely better. Once again, there was a couple at an adjacent table that had the "whole" fish dinner. I tried not to stare, but it was interesting to watch how they ate the fish. They picked up the whole fish in both hands and sort of nibbled away at the meat. It wasn't exactly pretty, but it seemed to be very efficient. Efficient or not, I would still never be tempted to try the whole fish version.

     It has not been totally restful today as I have spent a number of hours working on the blog today in an effort to catch back up. Some of these long days make it very difficult to keep absolutely up to date, and that's my story.

     Early to bed once again as we are planning a very early start tomorrow morning. Oh joy!

4 comments:

  1. I once tried an "all you can eat" whole fish dinner, and you are correct, it was a mistake. The only reason I ate a second fish was to "get my money's worth."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys! It's Randy on Lady Chateau. I see that you're down by Cairo. I'm guessing you're on your way? We'll be headed that way in a couple days? How is it?

    Randy@ladychateau.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loots of debris for the first 60 miles, but once we passed the high water bulge there has been virtually no debris. We are at Kaskaskia Lock and Dam tonight, and the wall is a very nice tie along. No services, but a short kayak ride (100 yards) to a nice park for our dog Lucky. Headed to Hoppies tomorrow.

      Delete