Saturday, July 20, 2013

Day 68 the Captain celebrates (?)

Late yesterday, we made the decision to stay for about a week in Ft. Pierce partly because the Admiral wants to visit her dear old friend "Harry Potter" at Universal Studios in Orlando. Thus, we rented a car for the week.
The "celebration" in the title of today's post refers to the fact that today is 6 months plus 1 day since I had a seizure last January. After a seizure, one is not supposed to drive for 6 months (seizure free). So, the 6 month part is indeed good news. It does not mean that I will never have another one, but the "odds" are much improved. I did not keep the seizure a secret, but at the same time I did not rent any TV time to advertise the fact.  I actually had the seizure in the driveway at Terry's parent's home in Rockport, TX. I spent part of 4 days in the hospital in Corpus Christi, and after all kinds of tests, they found no underlying cause. So, here we are six months later, some 1300 miles and nearly 10 weeks into our boating trip. It seems that there are no rules about boats and seizures... If you think about it, this might explain why you usually see me wearing a life jacket with a safety harness, and why we have a TV camera to monitor me while the admiral is below, safety lines, etc.
There was a Saturday morning Farmer's market across the street from our dock. I did not go, but the Admiral brought me a delicious scone (home grown no doubt). In another part of the waterfront park, there was also an art-souvenir-trinket market.


I did browse through some of this market. Trust me. I was not tempted to buy any thing...
As I was leaving the market area on my electric scooter, I took this picture, and I was immediately latched onto by the owner of this Corvette. He had converted a perfectly good Corvette into a smart (i.e. all electric) car. The engine and transmission are gone, and the rear area is full of batteries, which are (red) barely visible in the picture. Since I was riding an electric scooter, he thought that he had found a true soul brother. I did not have the heart to tell him that I took the picture as an "oddity" at best...
The next picture also falls into the same category of odd things that I have seen along the way. Take for example, this perfectly good sailboat with the 2 pink flamingos as "hood" ornaments.
I suppose that the rest of our day slightly followed this same off beat theme.  We drove up to a great movie theater in Vero beach about 15 miles north of Ft. Pierce. We saw the new movie "Reds 2". We both really enjoyed the movie, and the Admiral said as we were leaving that this was the first movie in a long time that she would love to see again.
     Tonight we had our first Mexican food since leaving Clearwater about a month ago. I had a fajita salad that was really pretty good. Sorry Texas! I really do not miss B-B-Q, but I still like to get some GOOD Tex-Mex food on a fairly regular basis...
Then we toured around the area including driving out across bridges to several of the barrier islands. Sure enough, the Atlantic Ocean was right where it was supposed to be...

No comments:

Post a Comment